Thursday 10 March 2011

12 years ago today...

12 years ago today at 4:30 a.m I became a mother for the very first time! A title I have held proudly and taken very seriously from that day forward! Although I was young, I knew that this little helpless being was my responsibility and counted on me to take care of her and raise her right. I cant say I am by any means a strict parent, I think I am a fair parent. I have tolerance for certain things and others I stand my ground. I know for a fact that I am probably over protective but I think we all are. I have trouble sometimes cutting the apron strings and letting her live life and make mistakes.
Sometimes I will see other kids who are left home alone for hours on end while their parents are out partying, or kids out on my street until all hours of the night because their parents just want them out of their hair. I can't imagine parenting that way....It seems so selfish.
As a parent I want the best for my children I want them to feel wanted and loved and I have worked very hard at creating a trusting open relationship with them. I think, if my kids can't come to me with whatever big or small problem they may have who can they go to? I never want my kids to be scared of me or keep things from me because they think I will get mad.

Our kids need us now more then ever, with all the poison out there and peer pressure to "Fit in" they need to know that we are there as a resource and a comfort.

So take the time to really listen to your kids, and be there for them, they need us!

Happy 12th Birthday to my big girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment